I made a bet with my good friend Pauline that if she could guess who I was thinking about asking to Sadies, then I would ask. But my brother came over so together they figured it out... Anyways, they wouldn't let me renege on my deal so I put something together and asked this guy. I didn't really want to at first, but then I got kind of excited after talking to people and so when he turned me down (nicely though) it really sucked.
Fast forward to a week after that - we're chilling in physics, and Mr. Z starts walking around talking to a couple of us, asking if we're going to Sadies with anyone. He gets to me and I'm like "Yeah I got rejected"... He pauses for a second then says, "Well ask me again later and I'll think about it again." And we laugh =)
That happened about a week ago.. today I was sitting in the hallways waiting for the tutoring room to open when Mr. Z walks by and sees me sitting there, and he goes, "I've been wanting to talk to you ever since you told me you got rejected to Sadies. That was one of the few times that I really didn't know what to say right then, and I haven't gotten a chance to talk to you by yourself so I'm glad that I caught you here." (at this point I'm thinking oh shoot here comes the emotion)
And he continues to say things like I know that must have really sucked, and high school can seriously be one of the toughest times in your life that you'll ever face, and sometimes life just sucks. That he's a fool who didn't know what he was giving up, that I will find someone someday who sees and values me for who I am, who sees how smart and attractive and awesome I am. (oh yes, that's definitely me)
There was a lot more, but I can't really remember it off the top of my head. I thought I didn't really care about this anymore, but I guess I did cause I started crying LOL. Anyways he gave me a hug (which was a little awkward considering that I'm like a foot and a half shorter than he is) and he talked to me some more, I said "Thank you Mr. Z," and then we parted ways.
It really made me think about how blessed we are at this school - where teachers take the time to know and to care about their students, where they talk to us and give advice (even unasked) on our insignificant high school problems. I wish every teacher, no, every adult, could be like Mr. Z. Mr. Z, you are truly my hero.
No comments:
Post a Comment