I KNOW that I signed up for this job, I know that these are my responsibilities, I know that I shouldn't be complaining or anything.
But sometimes I just need to unload, okay?
This job is infinitely harder than it looks...
I'm so busy trying to be efficient and get you processed as quickly as possible that I do not have time for niceties, to talk and say, hi, how are you doing, how was your day? I'm sorry, but I cannot cater to your needs. I do not know whether or not you have checked your facebook since the night before, so I do not know if you got my message about bringing money or not. So just in case, I'll remind you again - THERE IS NO REASON TO CALL ME A NAZI. You hurt my feelings.. I am just trying to do my job as uniform manager.
Maybe I do come off as contemptuous/annoyed during uniform fittings. But if you see me that way, can you tell me? I'll try to loosen up if you do. As uniform manager, I de-personalize myself during the job. I will not make an effort to be nice - it takes up too much energy. It's just: "Hi. What's your size? Okay, go try on uniform __." I got tired of telling people nicely to check their sizes or go see Mr. England, so I point instead. Is that alright with you? Is that too rude? Well, too bad. If you would just read the signs we have up around the bandroom, I wouldn't need to point and you wouldn't think I was rude. So if it's all the same to you, please follow directions. Read everything thoroughly. Isn't this what they teach you in school?
It really is a catch-22..
In order to do my job properly, I have to bug people so they'll remember to do things.
If I bug people, they will become annoyed and uncooperative, hindering me from doing my job properly.
But you know, no matter how much I bug people, there is ALWAYS someone who refuses to show up. So for me, there is only one solution - bug people more frequently.
I'm afraid that I'm starting to lose my friends... after spending so much time away, devoted to band, I wonder, is it really worth it? Most everyone can tell I'm stressed these days, and you know what? Maybe I am. I dare you to shadow me for a day and see how much work goes into this entire uniform fitting business - and you know, I'm not getting paid. I'm not getting any recognition. I'm not getting ANYTHING out of this - except knowing that the band will run smoother because of me. It's almost worth it.. I still don't know. But what I signed up for, I will follow through on - I'm not one to break promises.
Anyways, please cut me some slack.
Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment