It's been a while since I last blogged! So here's a quick update on what I've been up to (if you're interested, that is)
On a normal weekday, I head over to the school office and... chill. I get volunteer hours for sitting at a desk, sometimes working on Naviance things (i.e. inputting SAT/ACT/AP scores, updating GPAs, putting in new students, putting together stats for college application/acceptances), but sometimes just for chilling doing my own homework and reading a good book =) Lately though, I've been working as an admission ambassador - this means that I help out the little scrubbies when they come in to pick up their registration packets. I talk to them/their families, explaining what each thing in the packet is, talk a little about student life, give a short tour of the school. It's great to put smiles on people's faces! Sometimes the kids come in just... not feeling the Whitney vibe at all. You can tell that they reaaaaaaaally don't want to come and that their parents are just forcing them to, but after we talk to them a bunch they leave with a spring in their step ^^ I gotta admit though, it does suck fielding phone calls from desperate parents who really want their kids to come.. that's why I avoid picking up the phone, and always make someone else take calls if possible! hoho =)
Besides the office, I went to Las Vegas for a week (okay, not really, more like Boulder City) with my youth group. We basically did community service, and most of us worked at senior centers (myself included) The two things I reaaaaaaally didn't like, but probably helped me grow more as a person, were the fact that 1. Our group was the oldest, overall - the program was clearly geared towards younger kids (middle schoolers) and 2. We were all split up into 8 teams =/ There was this Iowa kid named Colette (not Cosette) who drove me CRAZY.. just really immature haha. Needless to say, I did not accept her Facebook friend request ^^ But it did teach me a lot about responsibility, patience, humility, and counting my blessings. For example, this one afternoon, we were playing board games/putting together puzzles with the seniors - I worked at a physical rehabilitation center for them (i.e. recovering from strokes, falling down stairs, that kind of thing) - so most of them were in wheelchairs, and I'd guess half of them couldn't talk; of those that could talk, half were confused often. ANYWAYS! Back to my story. I was putting together a puzzle with this nice old lady named Fern, and she kept picking up the pieces, looking at the front and back, then putting them back down again. Finally, I asked her, "What are you doing, Fern?" And she said, "I can't tell the front from the back.."
On a normal weekday, I head over to the school office and... chill. I get volunteer hours for sitting at a desk, sometimes working on Naviance things (i.e. inputting SAT/ACT/AP scores, updating GPAs, putting in new students, putting together stats for college application/acceptances), but sometimes just for chilling doing my own homework and reading a good book =) Lately though, I've been working as an admission ambassador - this means that I help out the little scrubbies when they come in to pick up their registration packets. I talk to them/their families, explaining what each thing in the packet is, talk a little about student life, give a short tour of the school. It's great to put smiles on people's faces! Sometimes the kids come in just... not feeling the Whitney vibe at all. You can tell that they reaaaaaaaally don't want to come and that their parents are just forcing them to, but after we talk to them a bunch they leave with a spring in their step ^^ I gotta admit though, it does suck fielding phone calls from desperate parents who really want their kids to come.. that's why I avoid picking up the phone, and always make someone else take calls if possible! hoho =)
Besides the office, I went to Las Vegas for a week (okay, not really, more like Boulder City) with my youth group. We basically did community service, and most of us worked at senior centers (myself included) The two things I reaaaaaaally didn't like, but probably helped me grow more as a person, were the fact that 1. Our group was the oldest, overall - the program was clearly geared towards younger kids (middle schoolers) and 2. We were all split up into 8 teams =/ There was this Iowa kid named Colette (not Cosette) who drove me CRAZY.. just really immature haha. Needless to say, I did not accept her Facebook friend request ^^ But it did teach me a lot about responsibility, patience, humility, and counting my blessings. For example, this one afternoon, we were playing board games/putting together puzzles with the seniors - I worked at a physical rehabilitation center for them (i.e. recovering from strokes, falling down stairs, that kind of thing) - so most of them were in wheelchairs, and I'd guess half of them couldn't talk; of those that could talk, half were confused often. ANYWAYS! Back to my story. I was putting together a puzzle with this nice old lady named Fern, and she kept picking up the pieces, looking at the front and back, then putting them back down again. Finally, I asked her, "What are you doing, Fern?" And she said, "I can't tell the front from the back.."
=(((((((
Story over.
Band camp's starting soon... wish me luck =/
No comments:
Post a Comment